Where did I go?

Having kids, stress, and life changes make some of us gain weight. This is our blog to feeling better about ourselves! It's not an easy road we are heading down, so this is for support. We are beautiful women, just lost somewhere inside of our bodies that have gotten bigger, much to our dismay. We CAN do this!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our First Guest Blogger! Jessica Williams!

Jessica is going to help me with some posts while my wrist is healing. I appreciate her doing this for me!

Gazelle vs. Duck or Why I Run

When Jocee and I first spoke about doing this weight loss journey together (by together I mean each of us trying to out do the other because that is how we are) I decided that I would run as my exercise of choice. I had visions of myself gracefully running into a slimmer body. I had seen the other women, we will call them gazelles, effortlessly running down the road, their long legs eating up the distance and barely breaking a sweat. I spoke with some of these woman and was told once you get past the pain of the first couple of weeks I would love running and find it as easy to do as them. Little did we all know that they were talking to me, we'll call me a duck. What is the difference between a duck and a gazelle you ask?! Well, a gazelle runs gracefully without much trouble, a gazelles concerns are with how fast they are running a mile, can they train adequately for the next marathon they are planning on entering, other such lofty goals as that. A duck is concerned with actually running. It is a painful thing to watch, it looks unnatural, there are arms/wings moving in ways that nature did not intend and a lot of strange noises that come from the duck while actually running. A duck is more concerned with the fact that they actually ran, forget about how fast it is all about actually performing the painful process. I am a duck. I have been running now since January, my face turns beet red within 5 seconds of me starting, my body moves in painful ways and I pant like a dog in the middle of summer.

About two weeks ago, after being passed by a couple of gazelles on my run I started to get discouraged but then I reminded myself of why I really chose running as my exercise regime. While I did have delusions of gazelle grandeur I really started running for more practical reasons. Like many of you I have a hard time scheduling in exercise time. I understand how important it is and how I feel better about myself and my life when I am exercising regularly but I don't enjoy, I never have. But if I am going to do the dreaded deed (and trust me it is dreaded) then I am going to burn as many calories as I can in the shortest amount of time, which unfortunately is running. Another reason I chose running because I am a full-time law student who spend approximately 110 hours per week sitting down either studying or attending class. I decided I needed some kind of exercise that would get me outside for a little while, running does that because I can't stand running on a treadmill. Finally, I chose to run because I needed a forced time to just be. I am constantly reading and studying for school, when I am not doing school work I am reading and writing for my website which leaves very little time for me to mentally process things. Don't get me wrong, I love to read and voluntarily spend so much time doing so but I realized that I never just stop and let my mind wander. Running forces me, at least for a little while, to stop focusing on other things and just let my mind wander. I do listen to music as a run but more as a beat motivator to get me to run faster and consistently then to keep my mind focused on the music.

Despite the fact that I will never be a gazelle, and I hate running, I will continue my running goals and highly recommend them to anyone else who is in the same position I am in regarding time and time spent outdoors.

2 comments:

  1. From one duck to another..you are great for doing it! I need to start again! Thanks for the cute post Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a duck! Saddest thing ever is when your 10 yo daughter tells you to stop running by her because it is soooo embarrassing. Good thing none of her friends were around. LOL Just being outdoors is in it's own way therapeutic. It's good for the soul. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete